Friday, June 24, 2011

100 Days Strong: Day 32, We leave for summer camp

Day 32, Sunday, June 19th.

We leave for summer camp today! Yea!

I got up this morning at 5:30 am. After showering and dressing, I started loading all the gear into the bed of my truck and in the back of my wife's Tahoe. I had everything loaded and ready to go by around 7:30 am. My son Tommy helped me load all the gear.

My wife took the dog to my mom's house so that she could watch her while we're gone. She has 2 dogs of her own, and they all love to play together.

While my wife was dropping the dog off Tommy and I headed to the church to get the Troop trailer hooked up and ready to go. I got there around 8:15 am. By around 8:30 am a few of the Scouts started showing up. By 9:15 am everyone was there. We got the gear loaded into the Troop trailer and hit the road.

We stopped at the McDonalds in Martinsville, IN for lunch. The camp doesn't serve lunch on the first day, so we had to get the boys fed on the way. There was another Troop at the McDonalds when we got there, so it took a little while for everyone to get their food. We finished eating and got back on the road around 12:30 pm. I had a quarter pounder, fries, and a Dr. Pepper to drink. I figured that since I would be eating the camp food all week it wouldn't hurt to have a soda on the way there.

We got to Ransburg and started checking in around 1:30 pm. The check-in procedure takes a little while. When you first get to camp you have to go through a medical form check. The camp staff looks over your physical form and makes sure that everything is in order. After getting the physical form checked we head to our campsite for a campsite inspection. The staff member with us checks all the canvas platform tents that are set up to make sure there are not any cuts or tears. We still don't unload our gear yet though. After doing the tent and campsite inspection we head to the water front for the swim test. Every camper must take a swim test before camp. We elected to take our swim tests before we came to camp at one of the opportunities our Council has at the High School pool. It really speeds up the check-in procedure when all you have to do is have the camp staff look over the swim test form instead of actually taking the swim test at camp when you first get there.

After the swim test was over we were able to go back to our campsite and get our gear out. Most of the boys used the canvas tents that the camp provides, but a few of them brought their own. I always bring my own so I can set up an "office" area where I do paperwork related to the merit badges the boys are taking. It really helps our advancement chair if I stay up on it during the week instead of hitting her with a mountain of it when we return.

After we had our campsite set up like we wanted it, it was time to head to the dining hall for dinner. For dinner tonight we had baked BBQ chicken, rice, green beans, roll, and Jello cake. I had water to drink.

After dinner we had a little time to relax, but at 8:15 we had to line up for the opening campfire. The campfire program was really fun. The staff put on several skits and we all sang several songs. The boys all really enjoyed it.

After the campfire was over we all went into the dining hall for a popsicle. After enjoying our popsicle we headed back to our campsite and started getting ready to turn in for the night.

That's about it for today. I'll try my best to get my blog caught up after I get home from camp. There's not much free time for me to work on it during camp.

For my 100 Days Strong:

I weighed 178 lbs this morning. My goal weight is 165 lbs.

The food I ate today is listed above.

This is my 100 Days Strong. What's your's?

No comments:

Post a Comment