Thursday, June 16, 2011

100 Days Strong: Day 16, 1st day of the canoe trip

Day 16, Friday, June 3rd.

It's been a while since I've been able to update my blog. I just got back from a 10 day canoe trip to the Boundary Waters. I wasn't able to update my blog while I was on the trip, and since getting back I've been extremely busy. I did keep a very detailed journal of my trip though so I could share it with everyone.

Here's how it went on the first day of the trip:

Friday, June 3rd.

Got up this morning at 5:00 am. Showered, dressed, ate breakfast (oatmeal and a glass of milk) and left the house by 5:45 am. Got to the church a short time later. The 5 boys and 1 other adult that were going on the trip with me and my son Tommy were already there. We loaded all the gear in the enclosed trailer and pulled out. I was driving my wife's Tahoe and pulling my 12 foot single axle enclosed trailer. In addition to the 8 people from my Troop, we also had 4 people from another Troop going with us. We put 4 of our boys in my Tahoe, and 2 of our boys in the other vehicle. We stopped at the gas station and filled our tanks and headed out on the road.

We drove until lunch time with a few stops on the way for restroom breaks and to get more fuel. We made it to Beloit, WI by around lunch time and that's where we stopped for lunch. There is a nice rest area just across the WI border that we stopped at. We had lunch, which consisted of roast beef and turkey sandwiches on a "slimwich" bun. I hadn't ever eaten a slimwich bun before. It was really good. Not as much bread as a regular bun. We also had sliced cheddar cheese for our sandwiches. Chips and a bottle of water rounded out our lunch.

After lunch we got back on the road and continued driving until we stopped for the evening at the Tomahawk Scout Reservation in Birchwood, WI. We unloaded our clothing and sleeping bags in the cabin and then headed down to their dining hall to fix our dinner. The facilities at the Tomahawk Scout Reservation were really nice. The dining hall was a fairly new building, and the cabin that we slept in was really nice too. We had hot dogs, chocolate pudding, and kool-aid to drink. It was a really nice evening. The temperature was 85 deg. outside, but the mosquitoes were bad so we spent most of the time inside. The boys played around some in the dining hall and then it was off to the cabin for bed. We all turned in around 10:00 pm.

I weighed myself this morning before I left for the trip. I knew I wouldn't be able to weigh myself for several days, but I wanted to see what I weighed before the trip. My weight was 178 lbs. My goal is to get down to 165 lbs. So far I've lost 5 lbs since starting the 100 Days Strong diet.

It was a long day, but I really enjoyed it.

This is my 100 Days Strong. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment