Thursday, March 3, 2011

100 Days of Scouting: Day 23, High Adventure meeting

I had a busy day today. I spent the morning working in the office.

After lunch I met one of the other Cub leaders at the GFS outlet store to do the grocery shopping for the Blue & Gold Banquet. They have a really neat computer program that I just love to use. When you get there they give you a handheld scanner that you can scan the bar codes on the merchandise with. After you scan the bar codes you take the scanner up to the computer and download the products you have selected into it. You enter the number of people you need to serve, and then the computer makes a list of the quantities of everything you need based on the average serving sizes of the products. It's not absolutely perfect, but it sure takes most of the guess work out of trying to figure out how much of something you need to purchase.

After I got everything loaded into my truck I decided to just run it up to the camp dining hall and put it away in the refrigerator and freezer there. That way I wouldn't have to try to find room for it in my home freezer. I called the camp ranger on the phone to see if he was there, but he didn't answer. I headed back to the office and waited for him to call me back. He finally called back, so I went ahead and took everything up to camp. After I got it unloaded I headed home to get ready for my High Adventure meeting.

I headed over to the church around 6:30 pm to get everything ready and to wait for everyone to show up for our 7:00 pm meeting. We're going to the Boundary Waters in June for a 10 day High Adventure trip and tonight was our initial information meeting where we handed out info and talked about the trip. So far, we have 3 adults and 4 Scouts going. Our crew size is limited to 9 people total. I hope we can get 2 more Scouts signed up to go with us. If not then we will open it up to other Troops in the area to see if we can fill up our crew. The meeting went really well and everyone asked a lot of really good questions. I can hardly wait to go on this trip. I've never been to the Boundary Waters before. I hear it's just gorgeous up there.

Well, that was my fun day of Scouting today. Have a great day, and remember to keep your Scouting fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment