Friday, April 22, 2011

100 Days of Scouting: Day 74, No Backpacking for me this weekend

Day 74, Friday, April 22nd.

I am totally bummed out tonight as I sit here and write this blog.

I've had a little backpacking trip planned for the last month and a half, and it just got cancelled.

I was planning on taking my family, along with around 6 other people, down to Southern Indiana to hike a section of the Knobstone Trail tonight and tomorrow. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate with my plans, and I ended up having to cancel the trip last minute.

My plan was to hit the trail at the Spurgeon Hollow trail head and hike down to the Oxley Memorial trail head. It's around 6 miles from Spurgeon Hollow to Oxley. We were going to hit the trail around  8:00 pm and hike about a mile to an area I had picked out to spend the nights.

Starting the hike around 8:00 pm would give us the opportunity to do some night hiking too, but as it got later in the day it became apparent that it was going to be storming tonight way too hard to even consider hitting the trail. I don't mind a little rain, but with the thunder and lightning storms they had forecast it was going to be far too wet and miserable to even consider going, Not to mention dangerous too! I could just picture myself getting hit by lightning or being carried away with the flood. A good part of the trail is in the valley, and with all the rain that was forecast there was a really good chance of a flash flood. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Well, there will be more opportunities to go backpacking, but I was really looking forward to the first one of the year this weekend!

For my 100 Days of Scouting:

I tried my best to provide an opportunity for the Scouts to go backpacking with me tonight and tomorrow.

I spent a lot of time communicating with some Scouts today about the backpacking trip.

That's my day 74.

Have a great day, and remember to keep your Scouting fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment