Friday, April 22, 2011

100 Days of Scouting: Day 73, Eagle Board of Review

Day 73, Thursday, April 21st.

Tonight was Eagle Board of Review night. We hold Eagle Board on the 3rd Thursday of every month. I almost always go and do them. It gives me a chance to meet a lot of really neat Eagle candidates.

I did 2 of them tonight. The first was a 17 year old young man that was about 6 months from his 18th birthday, and the second was a young man that was 2 weeks from his 18th birthday.

The difference between these 2 young men was very remarkable. One of them obviously had ADD bad, and it was very apparent that his medication was just about worn off. He had a terrible time concentrating on what we were doing. There were several times that he forgot what he was talking about half way through answering our questions. I felt a little sorry for him. I know he was doing his best to stay focused, but was having a really tough time doing so. His Eagle project was okay, and he had done everything necessary to make Eagle rank, but overall he just didn't really impress me all that much. We passed him, but I was just a little concerned about how well he showed leadership on his project. Hopefully as he gets a little older he will grow out of his ADD.

The 2nd Eagle candidate was the total opposite of the 1st one. This candidate was very sharp. He was focused and really had his act together. He did a great job of answering our questions, and was a real pleasure to talk to. Everything looked good for his project, and he was obviously the perfect Eagle candidate. We had no problems passing him with flying colors.

I guess it just goes to show that there are different types of Eagle Scouts out there. They all fly like Eagles, but some just soar a little higher than others.

For my 100 Days of Scouting today:

I did 2 Eagle Board of Reviews.

I finished packing my backpack for tomorrow's backpacking trip.

I answered several Scouting emails.

That about sums it up for the day.

Have a great day, and remember to keep your Scouting fun!

1 comment:

  1. It was Scoutmaster's Son night as 3 Scoutmasters had their sons' Boards last night...mine was number 2 out of the gate :)

    ReplyDelete