Saturday, April 9, 2011

100 Days of Scouting: Day 61, Spring Cleaning Day

Day 61, Saturday, April 9th.

Today I spent the day at the church doing some spring cleaning. It wasn't the type of spring cleaning you might be thinking about. It was some Boy Scout spring cleaning.

First I cleaned out the Troop trailer. It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of "stuff" that accumulates in there. There was a whole box full of lost and found type stuff. There were 4 boxes with all sorts of leftover food items. Nothing spoiled or gross, but stuff like cans of corn, jars of peanut butter, bottles of pancake syrup, boxes of oatmeal, and stuff like that. I went through and cleaned it all up. Now it's ready for our next campout. Then the process can start all over again.

I also cleaned out the Troop storage closet in the Troop room. I discovered we have a dozen flags that need retired that I didn't even know we had. Several of the businesses around town give us their flags when they have become worn out, or are in a condition that makes them unsuitable to fly. We then give the flag a proper retirement at a flag retirement ceremony. We do this when we camp, and some times when we have Webelos visiting.

My son Tommy had a Merit badge class all day today. He went down to the EcoLab at Marian University and took the Forestry and the Soil & Water Conservation Merit badges. I asked him how he liked them and he said that they were really interesting. That's good. That's the way a Merit badge class should be.

So, for my 100 Days of Scouting:

I cleaned out the Troop trailer.

I cleaned out the storage closet in the Troop room.

I listened to a dozen more Scouting Podcasts.

It was a beautiful day out today, and I had a really great time spending it doing the things I really love doing.

I hope you had a great day too, and remember to always keep your Scouting fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment