Friday, April 22, 2011

100 Days of Scouting: Day 72, Scout Skills Pack Meeting

Day 72, Wednesday, June 20th.

Tonight was Scout Skills night at our monthly Cub Scout Pack meeting. The Scouts in my Boy Scout Troop came to the elementary school and set up "stations" for the Cub Scouts to visit and learn a Scout Skill. We had 6 stations set up. There was First Aid, Cooking, Map & Compass, Knots, the perfect Scout camp site, and Backpacking.

The First Aid station showed the Cub Scouts how to make a stretcher out of 2 hiking poles and a blanket, how to splint a broken leg, how to make an arm sling out of a Scout neckerchief, and how to do some basic bandaging.

The Cooking station was probably the most visited station we had. There were 3 camp stoves set up, and the Boy Scouts were making pancakes as fast as they could. The Cub Scouts and parents each had a pancake or 2. Of course being the Scoutmaster I was allowed to have several.

The Map & Compass station taught the Cub Scouts some basic map reading skills and how to use a compass.

The Knots station taught the Cub Scouts how to tie the square knot, the bowline, and the clove hitch. Most of the Cub Scouts mastered the square knot, but the bowline and the clove hitch were a little more difficult for them to remember.

The perfect campsite had a tent, a stove, and all the normal Scout camping gear that we would normally have when we camp. The Cub Scouts enjoyed getting in the tent and just sitting there. I think some had never been in a tent before. They seemed to really enjoy it.

The backpacking station was by far my most favorite. Probably due to my love of backpacking. We set up a normal backpacking campsite complete with 2 backpacking tents, a couple of backpacking stoves, and all the other normal backpacking gear you would normally have on a backpacking trip. I also had a couple of loaded packs there for the boys to try on. They really enjoyed putting the loaded packs on and trying to walk around. Some were able to put it on and walk with no problems, but it was really fun seeing the little Tiger Scouts trying to walk with a 35lb pack on their back. I actually had to catch one that almost flipped over backwards!

That was our pack meeting. Since I'm both the Cubmaster of the Cub Scout Pack and the Scoutmaster of the Boy Scout Troop setting everything up was really easy. I think everyone had fun. I hope everyone had fun. I know I did!

For my 100 Days of Scouting today:

I attended a terrific Cub Scout Pack Meeting.

I did some other Scout type stuff. I just can't remember it all.

Have a great day, and remember to keep your Scouting fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment