Thursday, May 5, 2011

100 Days of Scouting: Day 82, Leave No Trace Training

Day 82, Saturday, April 30th.

Sorry this blog post is so late. My computer crashed Friday before I left to go out of town and I have not had time to update the blog during the day while I have access to my work computer.

Today was a really fun day of learning.

I got to Shepherdsville, KY for the Leave No Trace Trainers Course last night around 5:30 pm, got all my gear set up and ready for the night, and got started with the class by around 7:00 pm. It ran until 11:00 pm.

I got up this morning at 6:00 am and got ready for the day. We started the class at 7:00 am with a quick easy breakfast of omelets in a bag cooked in boiling water. We were learning all about front country camping this morning. After lunch we packed up all our gear and hit the trail. The afternoon was all about leave no trace camping in the back country. We hiked out around a mile and set up camp around 200 feet from a small stream. We got our cooking area, sleeping area, and main gathering area set up properly following the principles of leave no trace. We had a little more class time and then dinner. Dinner was a delicious freeze-dried meal made by Enertia Trail Foods Company. It was surprisingly good. I've had plenty of freeze-dried meals on the trail, and this was one of the best I've had. After dinner we talked more about some of the stuff we were learning, and then it was off to bed.


For my 100 Days of Scouting today:

I learned how to better teach the 7 leave no trace principles.

I got to spend the night in the woods.

Have a great day, and remember to keep your Scouting fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment