Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blog Extra: Trail food I ate this weekend

A few people asked me to share what I had to eat at the Leave No Trace Trainers Course this weekend, so here it is:

Friday night we were to arrive fed and ready to learn.

We had a simple cracker barrel before bed that consisted of some cookies, pretzels, and some chips and salsa. Nothing too special here.

Saturday since we were learning about how to follow the leave no trace principles for front country camping (in a camp ground), we had a common Scouting type of breakfast. We had omelets in a bag. To make omelets in a bag, you start with a 1 gallon freezer Zip-lock bag. You add 2 or 3 eggs. You then add other ingredients as you wish. I chose some sausage that had been cooked and crumbled up, some diced onion, and some diced red and yellow pepper. After adding everything to the bag, you then use your fingers to knead and mix everything all together. You then drop the bag into the boiling water for around 10 minutes. After the eggs are done cooking, you have an omelet in a bag. After you take the bag out of the water you can then add shredded cheese if you wish. The nice thing about this is that there are no dishes to wash.When we make omelets in a bag in our Troop we use our turkey fryer and large pot. We've never actually fried a turkey in it, but it really works great for making hot water in a large quantity.

For lunch we had lunch meat sandwiches made out of pita flat bread. We had turkey and ham to choose from, along with some sliced cheese. Mayo and mustard was available if you wanted it. I chose both turkey and ham for my sandwich. I added a slice of Cheddar cheese and some mayo. We also had several different types of chips to choose from, as well as some fresh fruit.

Dinner was the best. We ate our dinner while we were doing the back country camping in the woods. The freeze-dried meals we had available to us were all made by Enertia Trail Foods Company. There were several different styles and flavors to choose from. I chose one called Rainer Rice. It was sort of a red bean and rice dinner with some really flavorful seasonings. We also had several different types of energy bars to choose from. For our drink we had drink mix packets to add to a bottle of water. One note here I want to mention is that anytime you use a drink mix to drink always make sure you are adding it to a disposable water bottle or a Nalgene type of water bottle that has been marked as a smellable. Once you have added any drink mix to your water bottle, it must go up in the bear bag at night. I never drink anything with drink mix in my Nalgene. My Nalgene is only for water. I always use a disposable water bottle for kool-aid or any other drink mix. I bring a fresh one each time I hit the trail, and then put it in the recycle bin when I get home from the camping or backpacking trip.

For breakfast on Sunday morning we had several different flavors of oatmeal to choose from, as well as some different types of energy bars. We also had out choice of single serving coffee and tea singles to drink. I chose the maple & brown sugar oatmeal and a coffee single for my breakfast.

Several people have asked me where to purchase the Enertia Trail Food from. I'm sure there are several different places to buy it from, but one place I know of is from the company that sponsored the training. The name of the company is Green Earth Outdoors. The guy that owns the company is Douglass Wagoner. You can find more information by searching Green Earth Outdoors on your computer, or by following this link: http://www.greenearthoutdoors.com/leavenotrace.html.

I hope this information is helpful. I really enjoyed eating the Enertia Trail Foods meal I had on Saturday night. There were so many different ones that sounded really good that I had a hard time deciding which one to eat.

If you have any questions about any of this, just leave a comment and I'll try to answer them.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment