Friday, May 20, 2011

100 Days Strong: Day 2 starting the diet

Day 2, Friday, May 20th.

Well I officially started my new diet today. I really hate to admit that I'm starting a "diet". In the past I never wanted to commit to a "diet". I always just said that I was going to start watching what I eat a little better.

If I'm going to make this work, and I mean really make this work, I have to be honest with myself and with everyone that is following my progress here on the blog. There's no hiding things now, at least as long as I'm honest about what I eat and what I do to get some exercise. And that's exactly what I intend to do. I intend to be honest about what I'm eating and what exercise I'm getting.

The other thing I intend to do is to take this to the Scouts in the Troop as a way to promote better fitness and diet with them.

Now, how to do it.

Tonight we leave on a campout. This isn't just a normal campout though and I'm not really sure I can do much about what they're eating this weekend anyway. This campout is being call the "Survivorman" campout. As many of you know, we've been doing the Wilderness Survival merit badge during the last 2 Troop meetings, and this weekend is the campout that the Scouts are making their wilderness survivor shelters and sleeping in them. The other really fun thing we're doing is that we're doing all of our cooking over the open fire. That's right, no stoves, and no tents for this weekend. The Scouts are each bringing their own food to cook and eat. No Grubmasters, and no group menus. Just what they bring for themselves and what they cook for themselves.

After this campout is over I plan on closely monitoring what the Scouts take on campouts to eat. I don't care what they have, but they will need to make sure it's well rounded and nutritionally complete. I also plan on discussing the importance of eating right and having regular exercise too.

The other thing I have to find a way to deal with is that I have quite a bit of food that has been purchased that I know isn't the healthiest to eat. I guess my only choice is to use it, but just watch my portion size. Of course portion size has always been my biggest problem. I probably eat twice the amount that I should. The only thing that has kept me from getting much heavier is that I do get a lot of exercise and stay really active.

Since I leave for the campout at 6:00 pm, and I need to get this blog posted before I go, I guess I won't have much of any way to post what I had for dinner, but here is what I've had so far today:

For my 100 Days Strong today:

My goal weight is 165 lbs.

I weighed myself this morning and the scale showed 182 lbs. I'm not too sure that I've actually lost a pound though since last night when I weighed myself it was around 10:00 pm at night. I've always been told that you are heavier in the evening than first thing in the morning. I plan on doing my weigh-ins each morning when I first get up.

For breakfast I had 1 piece of peanutbutter on toast, and a glass of milk.

For lunch I had a Zatarain's blackened chicken alfredo bowl. Like I said, I have to eat up the groceries I have. It had 510 calories and 24 grams of fat. Yes, I know, way too much fat.

When the old groceries are gone I'll be eating much healthier.

This is my 100 Days Strong. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment