Wednesday, February 23, 2011

100 Days of Scouting: Day 15, email day

Even though I went all day without ever putting my Scout uniform on, I still got a lot of Scouting done. I just did it a little differently today. Here's how it happened.

While writing my 20th Scouting related email of the day I wondered how we ever got anything accomplished before we used email. This got me thinking about all the different ways we communicate with our Scouts and their parents. While thinking about communicating with the Scouts and parents I then started thinking about our policies on electronic devices going on campouts and other outings and how the Scouts are using them. My mind was racing while I thought about the different ways our Scouts communicate. The more I thought about all this, the more I started to realize that some really big changes are happening with the boys in my Troop right now. A lot of them now have cell phones. Some even have smart phones with email and calendar. A lot of them use Facebook. The way I communicate with them is changing rapidly too. The days of calling a parent to have them pass a message on to their son is gone. Even the way the Scouts communicate between each other has changed. They text, they Facebook, they instant message, they email. They probably have ways of communicating that I'm not even aware of. Things are really changing and I need to be a part of the change. If I don't stay up on top of all the changes I feel like I might loose touch with some of these Scouts. Things are changing and we as leaders need to know what these changes are. I still don't think most electronic devices need to go on outings, but my views on cell phones are changing a little. I'm not sure what the final answer is yet, but I do know that this is something I need to be giving serious thought to. the other thing I really thought about today is how much we can get accomplished by using things like Facebook and other social media. I can get the word out about something to a good majority of the Scouts really fast just by posting it on our Troop Facebook page. Thanks to all these changes I've been talking about I got a lot accomplished today. Just by using email and Facebook, I let the Scouts know about classes at the Merit Badge University and about several other Merit Badge opportunities that are coming up soon. I let the other leaders know about the District Awards Dinner, upcoming leader training, and several other Scouting items. I did get a lot done today. All thanks to the different ways we communicate. Stay up on it because things are changing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim,
    We are exploring a lot of the same communications tools at Pack 185 as well. I am putting together an information board for our Blue and Gold about technology and communication. We are establishing a Facebook and Twitter account with the pack website as the hub of information. Good luck!
    I love the BWCWA. I've been there 3x, twice leading youth. I'm sure you're going to have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete