Thursday, May 12, 2011

100 Days of Scouting: Day 93, High Adventure meeting

Day 93, Wednesday, May 11th.

Tonight was meeting number 3 for our High Adventure trip. We are planning a trip to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota, and tonight was the first gear check for the boys that are coming on the trip.

Things went pretty good at the meeting. We got a lot accomplished, with only minor issues. The main issue we had was that some boys (and their parents) do not understand the importance of leaving all cotton clothing at home and only bringing synthetic clothing on the canoe trip. They just don't understand the danger of hypothermia while wearing cotton clothing. It was my job tonight to stand my ground and explain to them that there would be no cotton clothing worn while we are on the water.

It was a little tough, but it had to be done. I just don't want a boy to have a terrible time because the clothing he is wearing has gotten wet and now he's cold and miserable. This is supposed to be a fun trip for everyone, not a miserable one.

For my 100 Days of Scouting today:

I had a meeting for our High Adventure trip.

I started packing my own gear for this weekend. I'm taking an advanced canoe training we have that is called Voyager training.

Have a great day today, and remember to keep your Scouting fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment